Saturday, September 24, 2005

the longest potholder at PCC

I am privileged to teach and to have taught art at several colleges and community colleges. And of course, being a faculty member means being invited to participate in the annual "faculty show."

My longest association with any art department is with Pasadena City College's. I started there in January 1990, teaching drawing. Then art appreciation. Printmaking. Digital drawing and painting. Two-dimensional design. Digital photography. And probably more that I can't even remember. Currently I am teaching digital drawing and painting.

I have taught at PCC through most of the major changes in my adult life. Through meeting "the one" and marrying him. Through our painful divorce. Through little art shows and big art shows. Through creative slumps and creative breakthroughs. Throughout I always stayed on as a part-time instructor at PCC.

When PCC's new gallery director Brian Tucker named our most recent faculty show "Where we have put our labor we have put our love," it seemed like a natural space for The Longest Potholder. So I asked him if we could include it (giving him a much smaller alternative piece, just in case the Potholder was way too overwhelming). And he was up for it.

Thus PCC hosted not only The Longest Potholder, but a Potholder Lengthening Event for the PCC community—two days ago, Thursday the 22nd, from noon to 4 pm. Thank God for the fabulous gallery folks (Charles, Jeremy, June), for the students and former students who stepped forward to volunteer, and for the lineup of creative, playful potholder participants.

Now it is Saturday morning, and I am completely exhausted, and grateful, and moved.

Sorry to have "NOTBLOGGED" for such a long time. I'll be back with more words when I have recovered a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home