Monday, September 12, 2005

art art art

Yesterday I ran from art opening to art opening—both shows including my work. Thank God for my car (despite current gasoline prices). I'm in three shows right now, with another one coming up in quick succession. If you'd like to see my work.....

Nature is a show at the Finegood Art Gallery in Woodland Hills. Despite my concerns to the contrary, the show is actually interesting and lovely. Work by Eugene Yelchin, Carol Goldmark, and Josh Abarbanel (and me, of course) were real standouts. The work I showed was from an ongoing series called Nature Morte ("still life," better translated as "dead nature"). The three pieces I showed were very lyrical, spare, and linear, using drawing & painting media and pigment on raw canvas (that one is 32 inches high and 88 inches wide) or mattress ticking (36 inches square or 42 inches square).

Nature
Finegood Art Gallery, Valley Alliance/Jewish Federation
22622 Vanowen Street, West Hills, CA 91307
September 11 - October 23, 2005

Artists Hang Themselves at Mount St. Mary's College's excellent Jose Drudis-Biada Gallery is a big free-for-all blowout fundraiser for the perpetually strapped yet fantastic gallery. Many of us who have shown up at the Mount were happy to have the opportunity to "give back," by showing up to three of our pieces and by paying a fee per piece. I was happy to include three of my large charcoal-on-canvas pieces from a series called "Bite." VERY icky and disturbing mutated gums, jaws, teeth, etc. I am really proud of this series. It really expresses my anger, bitterness, sorrow, and disgust at the behavior of our nation. I also loved Jackie Nach's prints. Yay Jackie! Glad you are back in L.A.!

Artists Hang Themselves
(charming name, don't you think?)

Mt. St. Mary's College, Jose Drudis-Biada Art Gallery
12001 Chalon Road, Los Angeles, CA 90049
September 13 - October 7, 2005
T-Sat noon-5 pm

And I am in the annual faculty show at Pasadena City College, one of the places where I currently teach. I am showing The Longest Potholder, which I will write more about a bit later. It will also be traveling and lengthening soon, at the Armory Center for the Arts Northwest. [Opening there on October 7.] But for right now it is on campus at PCC.....


We put our love where we have put our labor
Pasadena City College Art Gallery
1570 E. Colorado Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91106
August 29 - September 23, 2005
M-F noon - 4 pm and
M-Th 6 - 8 pm
Parking in student lots for $1.00

Potholder Lengthening Event on September 22 from noon to 5 pm
Donate those old lonely single socks (clean, please!), old unwanted hose, etc....
and come make them into potholders, to be meshed onto The Longest Potholder.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep meaning to donate a couple dozen loose individual socks. I also keep forgetting for, say, the last two years...

9/13/2005 7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home