Sunday, August 21, 2005

reveal

I make art.
I look at art.
I love art. Contemporary art. Contemporary fine art.
But everyone asks me....

What is art, really?

Art is a creation, made by a person or people, for other people, that communicates and reveals something about the human condition NOW.

Creating something that communicates something about the human condition "back then"--- well, that's not contemporary fine art. It might be nostalgia. Kitsch. Craft. Commercial art or design. (And hey, nothing wrong with craft and kitsch...... there is some ROCKIN' kitsch out there! And I love to teach design!)

But I am sorry; there is a distinction.
It is NOT necessarily art.

The act of making art is the act of revealing humanity to itself.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are quibbling definitions. However, I suppose that all life is how you define it. I got the impression, from my misspent youth, that art is intended to evoke a feeling, and I've seen some pieces of what you define as craft that evoked feelings in me.

So, art my way, or art your way, it's all still still a creative process that the artist needs to express...

8/28/2005 9:22 AM  
Blogger laurelpaley said...

There is a difference between the impulse (artist's need or inspiration), the intention (to express, comment on, reveal), the process (creativity, exploration, questioning), and the outcome (feeling or thought in the audience, some sort of experience).

Art may well have the outcome of evoking a feeling. Much of the time it does. However, for you it may be one feeling, and for someone else it may be a different feeling. And the artist may have had a completely different intention. Or not.

So, your emotional response ("feeling") evoked by an artwork is an outcome, but may not be tan intention.

There aren't a lot of good words in English for art. In some contexts, the term simply means "craft" or "skill." [As in, my mechanic has mastered his art.]

"Art" also is wedded to the term "artificial." Fake. The lie that tells the truth.

8/28/2005 10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home