Saturday, September 03, 2005

newbie | BabyGirl Reid

I was back at Good Samaritan Hospital today.

My dad worked at Good Sam for years. Years and years. YEARS and years and years. And my sister's first husband had a series of surgeries there (before he finally succumbed to his cancer). I rarely see Good Sam any more, unless I spot it as I drive by. But I was back in the 'hood today.

The seedy neighborhood.
The Latino fruit vendor across the street.
The wide, long lobby.
The gift store that always closed too early.
The slow, slow elevators.

On the seventh floor, on the south side, are the newborns. In all the years I would pop in and out of Good Sam, did I ever know anyone who had a baby there? I don't think so. It was either that place where my dad went to work, or that place where Greg got diagnosed. Either an everyday workaday place, or a place of worry and sorrow.

But this time was different. Seven South! Chris and Shannon, my dear buddies, were there with their brand-new daughter, BabyGirl Reid.

BabyGirl Reid was fifteen hours old. Soft whorls of brown were barely there, arching over her dark-blue eyes. Open. Then at half-mast. Half-moon slits. Then open again.

BabyGirl Reid performed her teensy miracle sneezes, and her teensy yawns. She looked around, looked at me. Swaddled and hatted, BabyGirl Reid was only a tiny, fascinating face. Calm. Inquisitive. She liked having her cheek stroked. She blinked oddly when I touched her nose. And she was perturbed when I put her back into her bed (oh that tiny, bright red, screwed-up little pout, and her teensy little upset, barely a cough!). "How DARE you mess with my comfort!?"

Chris, Shannon, PLEASE hurry up and name the baby. I am really liking BabyGirl Reid WAY too much. Or I will give her a name myself. *I* know.....

Newbie!
Little Newbie!

Naw...... I'm sticking with BabyGirl Reid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home