Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Disney Hall | NOT Hebrew School

Range, variety, intensity, wit.
Beauty, connectedness, fractal mutation.
Life, the Universe, and Everything.

In my previous post, I wrote about discovering that I was to be sitting alongside my Hebrew School teacher at the Walt Disney Concert Hall. I had rushed out to the Disney Hall to get a seat at the all-Reich concert at Disney Hall, part of the Minimalist Jukebox series. Finding Mrs. Bender was pretty trippy, I grant you.

Some of my readers have been asking me...... "What about THE CONCERT? DID SHE LIKE THE CONCERT?"

Well, first of all, the concert was INCREDIBLE. Superlative. The performances were exquisite. Reich weaves together and overlays repetitive and mutating melodic-percussive phrases and lines, with extraordinary result, but if they are not performed well, they can be a mess. This was not a mess. This was a revelation.

Moreover, the concert hall's acoustics elevated the crispness and clarity of the music.

So NU? How did the Fabulous Four (Mrs. Bender included) like Steven Reich and Minimalism?

They hated it. They HATED it.
"This isn't music! It is all the same!"
"How dare they give such concerts to subscribers?"

At the intermission I actually had to ask the man sitting immediately to my left to stop grousing OUT LOUD during the performance. Mrs. Bender, glaring, DEMANDED to know what I possibly could see and enjoy about this music, how I could even begin to listen to it, let alone TAKE NOTES!!??!! I gave my best art-professor description of the process of confronting an unknown artwork, listening in new ways, for new things, from a different paradigm, from a point of view of inquiry.

Oy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Philistines.

5/04/2006 6:46 AM  
Blogger Stacey R. Wexler said...

Sounds similiar to "Bang on the Can".I should burn you a cd of it.It sounds like metal twisting in a wreckage to everyone else but I hear it as the vestiges of emotion being unleashed.

5/04/2006 1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home